MPAC 7th-Grade Newsletter
Hello 7th-Grade Families,
I am proud and excited to announce that our Academic Center soared higher than the previous four years on our School Quality Rating Policy (SQRP) and maintained our Level 1 status! Morgan Park High School also soared achieving a Level 2+ SQRP rating! The administrative team thanks you for partnering with us as we continue to ensure MPHS is the south side neighborhood school of choice! #MPlevelingup
Please find our announcements for the week of November 11th below.
Monthly Academic Highlight
- Each month I will highlight one course to provide you with insight on what your scholar will be learning.
- This month's highlight is Ms. Reilly's English course.
- Please reach out to Ms. Reilly if you have any questions.
What will scholars learn this month in English?
Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
Conduct short research projects to answer a question, drawing on several sources and generating additional related, focused questions for further research and investigation.
SOI: Humans use evidence and arguments to construct plausible interpretation of past people and events.
Students will be integrating knowledge from multiple sources in an attempt to explain the mysterious death of Edgar Allan Poe. They will research various theories, choose one, and then write an essay in which they argue their perspective on the cause of his death.
- Are scheduled for Thursday, November 14th from 12:00 pm -6:00 pm and will be located in the new building.
- Please enter through the main entrance and proceed to the cafeteria for check-in.
- For your convenience, teachers will be located in the gymnasiums by department.
- You do not need to schedule an appointment. You can choose to meet with all of your scholar's teachers or a specific teacher.
November Attendance Incentive
- "Let's get Poppin'" POPCORN INCENTIVE (please see flyer attached)
- Students must be present 14 out of 15 days in the month of November to qualify.
- Students who qualify will receive their popcorn incentive on December 5th during lunch.
- There are only 15 instructional days in the month of November. Every day of instruction will be critical. Please ensure your Mustang is present every day.
- Please also note, due to the strike we are required to make up the following 5 instructional days.
- Wednesday, November 27th
- Thursday, January 2nd
- Friday, January 3rd
- Wednesday, June 17th
- Thursday, June 18th
- Academic Lunch support will be held on Wednesday, November 13th and Friday, November 15th for students who are currently receiving a grade lower than a "C".
- Please check your student's grades on Aspen Parent Portal to identify if your scholar will be participating in lunch support.
- The start date for Academic Center Excellence (A.C.E.) after school tutoring has been postponed.
- Please encourage your scholar to join the Chess team!
- Practices are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00-4:00 pm in room 326.
- Please email Mr. Corner at email@example.com for more information.
- Polished Pebbles is a mentor program that provides girls with the opportunity to learn the vital life skill of effective communication. The program will focus on exploring careers, making an impact on your community, and enhancing your ability to be a great and effective communicator.
- Throughout the school year, Polished Pebbles will meet during 3rd period every Friday starting October 11, 2019.
- If your scholar is interested in Polished Pebbles, please reach out to Mrs. McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org or have your scholar stop by her room 135B located inside of the library to sign the interest list and to receive a registration packet.
DePaul D-Men Challenge Field Trip
Boys only! Permission slips are due to me on Tuesday, November 12th.
PSAT/SAT Field Trip 11/19/19
- I am so excited to inform you that our 7th-grade male students were invited to participate in the D-Men Challenge (DePaul Males Encouraging Nonviolence) through DePaul University on Friday, November 15. This trip is free of charge!
- The D-MEN Challenge is a campus visit program for young males developed to create positive self-identities, build self-confidence and help males resolve conflicts amicably. Through a team challenge experience, the goal of the program is to help groups create a common bond, build trust and commitment and establish higher levels of appreciation for their members.
- Students also receive information about planning for college, tour DePaul University’s Lincoln Park Campus and have meaningful discussions with male DePaul students of color.
- Permission slips must be returned to me tomorrow, November 12th.
- Due to the strike, the PSAT/SAT testing for 9th-11th graders was rescheduled for Tuesday, November 19th.
- The AC will be taking a field trip on Tuesday, November 19th to visit three of the seven City Colleges.
- Students will be broken into three groups and will visit either South Suburban College, Malcolm X College, or Harold Washington College.
- Students will have the opportunity to preview the life of a college student by touring the campus, speaking with academic advisors about career pathways, apprenticeships, the application process, and much more.
- Permissions will be distributed on Wednesday, November 14th and must be returned by Monday, November 18th. All students must attend!
- Students must bring a lunch or bring money to purchase food at the student cafeteria.
Harriett Tubman Movie Field Trip 11/25/19
- All 7th-12th-grade female students will participate in a field trip to see Harriet Tubman at the Marcus Theatre in Country Club
Hills, on Monday, November 25, 2019.
- We will leave the school at 8:30 a.m. and will return by 1:30
- This tree is free of charge!
- Students are required to bring a lunch or bring money to purchase food from the concession stands.
Winter Sports Tryouts
- Girls and Boys basketball tryouts will be held on the following days:
- Girls tryouts-Tuesday, November 12th and Wednesday, November 13th from 3:00-4:00 pm.
- Boys tryouts-Wednesday, November 13th from 3:00-4:30 pm.
- To participate in sports, all students must have a sports physical on file. Sports physicals can be turned into me in room 304.
- Monday, November 11th, School Improvement Day- non-attendance for students
- Thursday, November 14th, Parent-Teacher Conferences-- non-attendance for students
- Friday, November 15th, Boys Only field trip to DePaul University for D-Men Challenge
- Tuesday, November 19th, PSAT/SAT field trip to South Suburban College, Malcolm X College, or Harold Washington College. All students are required to attend.
- Monday, November 25th, Girls Only field trip to view Harriet Tubman movie at Marcus Theatre in Country Club Hills.
- Thursday, November 28th & Friday, November 29th-Thanksgiving break-non-attendance days for students.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Morgan Park High School
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader. ~ John Quincy Adams