MPAC 8th-Grade Newsletter
Hello 8th-Grade Families,
Thank you to all the parents who attended parent/teacher conferences on Thursday! We truly appreciate your partnership! We are excited to begin the 2nd quarter!
Please find our announcements for the week of November 11th below.
1st-Quarter Awards Assembly
- Is scheduled on Monday, November 18th during 3rd period.
- Students will be honored for achieving the following 1st-quarter accomplishments
- A-Honor Roll
- A/B Honor Roll
- Perfect Attendance
- 95% Attendance
- Subject Specific Academic Honor
AC Grade Level Academic Incentive
- To support academic success and student growth any student who moves up at least one level on the Stoplight Report (e.g. from red to yellow) or who begins in blue and remains in blue is eligible to attend a movie with snacks on Friday, December 12th.
- The stoplight report is an academic tool used to track student grades and attendance. The color bands are as follows:
- Blue- As & Bs
- Green-passing all classes
- Yellow-failing one class
- Red-failing more than one class
- The improvement must be shown between the November 12 Stoplight Report and the December 13 Stoplight Report.
- Please see the attached flyer for more detail.
November Attendance Incentive
- "Let's get Poppin'" POPCORN INCENTIVE (please see flyer attached)
- Students must be present 14 out of 15 days in the month of November to qualify.
- Students who qualify will receive their popcorn incentive on December 5th during lunch.
- Please see the attached flyer for more details.
- There are only 7 instructional days left in the month of November. Every day of instruction will be critical. Please ensure your Mustang is present every day.
- Please also note, due to the strike we are required to make up the following 5 instructional days.
- Wednesday, November 27th
- Thursday, January 2nd
- Friday, January 3rd
- Wednesday, June 17th
- Thursday, June 18th
- Academic Lunch support will be held on Monday, 11-18, Wednesday, 11-20, and Friday, 11-22 for students who are currently receiving a grade lower than a "C".
- Please check your student's grades on Aspen Parent Portal to identify if your scholar will be participating in lunch support.
- The start date for Academic Center Excellence (A.C.E.) after school tutoring has been postponed.
PSAT/SAT Field Trip 11/19/19
- Due to the strike, the PSAT/SAT testing for 9th-11th graders was rescheduled for Tuesday, November 19th.
- The AC will be taking a field trip on Tuesday, November 19th to visit three of the seven City Colleges.
- Students will be broken into three groups and will visit either South Suburban College, Malcolm X College, or Harold Washington College.
- Students will have the opportunity to preview the life of a college student by touring the campus, speaking with academic advisors about career pathways, apprenticeships, the application process, and much more.
- Permissions must be returned to me in room 304 on Monday, November 18th. All students must attend!
- Students must bring lunch or bring money to purchase food in the student cafeteria.
- Students should dress appropriately for outdoor weather.
- Students will not attend their 1st-period class. Students must report directly to the main gym.
Harriett Tubman Movie Field Trip 11/25/19
- All 7th-12th-grade female students will participate in a field trip to see Harriet Tubman at the Marcus Theatre in Country Club
Hills, on Monday, November 25, 2019.
- We will leave the school at 8:30 a.m. and will return by 1:30
- The trip is free of charge!
- Students are required to bring lunch or bring money to purchase food from the concession stands.
- Permission slips are due to me in room 304 by Wednesday, November 20th.
GoCPS Application Deadline
- Has been extended to Friday, December 13th. Please ensure you complete your application and select Morgan Park High School as one of your 20 choice schools.
- Please also note, you must attend an IB Informational to enroll in our IB cohort. We are offering two IB informational sessions on the following days:
- Tuesday, November 19th at 6:00 pm
- Saturday, November 23rd at 10:30 am
- We will also be hosting our 9th-grade house open on both days, so please plan to stay to learn more about our high school.
Washington D.C. Class Trip
- I am thrilled to announce we have a total of 33 registered students and 3 registered parent chaperones for a total of 36 registered participants! Thank you to all who registered!
- If you missed the deadline to register and are still interested in attending, please contact me immediately.
- We have made the first step to securing our trip! Please keep in mind the final payment must be made by March 22, 2020.
- The 1st deposit of $62.00 for your scholar's 8th-grade fees was due on November 14th. If you haven't made the initial payment, please do so as soon as possible. Please note, deposits are used to secure the 8th-grade luncheon (Odyssey Cruise).
- The 2nd deposit of $62.00 is due on February 14, 2020.
- Students must make all payments during their lunch period in the main office. Please ensure your student informs the main office staff that the payment is for 8th-grade activities.
- Payments must be made in the form of cash or money order.
- All fees must be paid in full prior to commencement. This also includes the school $250.00 fee.
National Junior Honor Society
- I am excited to inform you that we will be inducting our 1st inductees into the Morgan Park Academic Center Chapter of NJHS during the second semester.
- Students must achieve a minimum 1st-semester cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale to receive an invitation.
- Students must meet qualifications based on the five pillars of NJHS:
- Please review the attached letter for more details regarding qualifications.
DePaul University D-Men Challenge Boys Field Trip
- Thank you, parents, for allowing our male students the opportunity to participate in the DePaul University D-Men Challenge on Friday, November 15th.
- The boys had a fun-filled day while participating in different team challenges to help create positive self-identities, build self-confidence and learn conflict resolution strategies.
- Please view a couple of pictures from the day's events attached.
Free Adult Paint & Sip
- Mark your calendars! The Parent Advisory Council (PAC) will host its first Paint & Sip on Wednesday, December 11, from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. This is a free event for parents and adults only!
- Parents, please join us in the Morgan Park High School Library for food, beverages, painting, and fun! Plan to arrive early for check-in, the first 20 adults will receive a free gift!
- You must RSVP to attend this event, invitations forthcoming.
- Tuesday, November 19th, PSAT/SAT field trip to South Suburban College, Malcolm X College, or Harold Washington College. All students are required to attend.
- Monday, November 25th, Girls Only field trip to view Harriet Tubman movie at Marcus Theatre in Country Club Hills.
- Thursday, November 28th & Friday, November 29th-Thanksgiving break-non-attendance days for students.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Morgan Park High School
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader. ~ John Quincy Adams